[Stackless] stackless 2.8 and backporting unicode behavior?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Jan 8 16:35:12 CET 2014

On 01/08/2014 04:18 PM, Christian Tismer wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, a consequent support for str/bytes would
> need to make str and bytes explicitly incompatible.
> But that is a huuuge change, and too much work.
> It would mean to implement everything that python3 changed there.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

the future module already did the work in bringing a Python 3 compatible
str and bytes into Python, as an import from a 'future.builtins' module.
There are interactions with Python 2 str and unicode, and those are
interesting and should be thought through carefully (see the issue I
pointed out for a start. I don't think we're at the end yet).

> I think we should not artificially enforce str/bytes incompatibility.
> Code can be checked by running it on a python 3 interpreter, that should
> be good enough.

That won't help those who want to *incrementally* upgrade their large
codebases to Python 3. You *can't* run such codebases on Python 3, until
you port every last module. That's why I'm looking at stuff like
'future' which tries to make such an incremental path possible for the
most difficult change of Python 3: the str/bytes story.

So I'm not proposing that the existing str/unicode/bytes in Stackless
2.8 change in any way, just that you can optionally import a new Python
3 style str/bytes on a per module basis. Is this what you objected against?

Regards,

Martijn